Friday, June 19, 2009

home sweet home


I know it is still a couple of weeks away, but I am so super duper excited for the Fourth of July. Yes, I love the fireworks and sparklers and watermelon. But what I am most excited about is that I will be spending the holiday weekend in the place that I love the most - my grandma's house. Growing up, we lived with my grandma at one point, then lived right next door to her for a bit and when we moved away to San Diego, Puerto Rico, etc., we would spend the summers there. My grandma lives in a tiny little town called La Mesa in New Mexico. She and my grandpa hired builders to build the house, but when my grandpa found out he was being ripped off, he fired them and he and my grandma finished the house. My dad, aunts and uncle grew up here and have countless tales of childhood adventures that I love to sit and listen to. Neighbors are one mile away, separated by fields of cotton and alfalfa. When I was younger, my grandpa grew the most delicious watermelon, cantaloupe, tomatoes and chile, among other things. My grandma has grown peach trees, apple trees, a pomegranate plant and two regal pecan trees that still reside in the front yard. Driving up to the farm, a feeling of serenity and calmness take over my body. My heart and mind are at complete ease as I step out of the car and into my haven. My grandpa passed away when I was in the eight grade, but I can still feel his spirit on the farm, where he spent his life working harder than any man I know. My grandma is a beautiful woman with the best sense of humor and a beautiful heart. Like I said, I can't wait to go home.

No comments: