Thursday, March 14, 2013

Dear Sofia (3 months)

Dear Sofia,

There isn't much that can beat your smile these days. And you offer them so generously to me. My favorite smiles are the ones that come soon after you've woken up from your nap and I walk into your room to see you laying in your crib sucking your thumb and playing with your hair. You let go of your thumb, turn up your face at me and my heart fills with joy I've never felt as you smile at me.

Sweet Sofi smiles
You are so much stronger than you were even just a few weeks ago! Tummy time no longer consists of your face going back and forth in the mat. The minute you get your head up you are looking around the room and drinking in everything around you - just like you have from the minute you were born.

Tummy time - excellent!
You love music. For the first time in my life, it doesn't matter that when I sing I'm completely off key - you love my rendition of "Hakuna Matata" no matter what I sound like!

And you are talking so much! Our best conversations are in the kitchen while I'm making dinner. I perch you on the table in your bouncy chair (strapped in, of course) and we talk about the day we've had, what your papi is up to at work, adventures you'll go on and what your pajarito friends, Azul and Rosita are doing. I love how determined you are to say what's on your mind. Your little mouth makes the cutest shape as you communicate with me. I can watch the videos I have of you talking over and over again and never tire of seeing your brain at work.


You also love bath time. You are so serene and calm in the water and stare so intently at my face while I talk to you about washing your arms and tummy and little toes. It is one of my favorite times that we spend together.

Being your mama is so much more amazing than I could ever have imagined. These 12 weeks home with you have filled my heart with a love I hadn't experienced before. I thank God every single day for giving me the opportunity to be your mama.

I will be heading back to work next week and our time together won't be as plentiful. This pains my heart to the point that I've had to fight back moments of anxiety recently and have shed quite a few tears, but for now, God is telling me that it is what He wants me to do, so I will follow His plan until He directs me otherwise. While I won't be with you for the majority of the day, I will definitely be thinking of you. I will be there to pick you up every single day and promise to be present during the time we do have together. I promise to be intentional with the time I have with you and to make the most of it. I love you so much and can't wait to continue to watch you grow.

Love,
Your mama

No comments: