Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Marls

Marley A. Martinez

It may come as a surprise to those that know me well that I am choosing to include Marley, our dog, on my list of things I am grateful for - on the second day, no less. Here's the thing, Marley was Joaquin's before we got back together. I was (and remain to this day, though Joaquin disagrees) the other woman. I swept in and made changes, took the alpha female role and stole Joa's attention from Marley. She resented me for it and she didn't really hold back in showing it. Rocky relationship doesn't even begin to cover the path on our acclimation to each other. But in time, Marley grew on me. And more importantly than the fact that yes, I do love her, she's taught me patience, humility (what else do you feel when you find yourself on your hands and knees in an LBD with your New Year's Eve guests watching as you wipe up pee?), she's jump started my motherly instinct and I've learned that everyone wants love in different ways (Marley's love language is physical touch - belly rubs will go a long way).

2. So Marley Ann Martinez (Marls Barkley, Marley Cyrus, Mizzle), despite our spats, slammed doors, puddles of pee, spiteful attempts to spill your food all over the floor and your gnarly breath, I am thankful for you. You are my first dog, after all and no other dog will ever occupy that space in my heart.

2 comments:

kristen said...

You know this makes me happy!

Summer said...

BUDDDDYYYY!!!!!